05 January 2011
Apple-Cinnamon French Toast
This is one of my favorite recipes ever. I found this years ago in Eating Well magazine. This is best to make ahead the night before, and refrigerate.
2 cups egg beaters
1 1/2 tbsps ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsps nutmeg
1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
1 cup slices dried apples
1/2 cup packed raisins
16 oz whole wheat bread
3 tbsps honey
1 tbsp unsifted powdered sugar
3 cups fat free milk
- Whisk milk, egg whites, honey, vanilla and in a large bowl.
- Trim crusts off 8 bread slices and set aside. Cut the crusts and the remaining bread into 1" pieces. Toss the cut bread with dried apples, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Coat a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the bread mixture to the pan. Lay the reserved crustless slices evenly over the top of the casserole, trimming to fit.
- Whisk the milk mixture one more time, then pour evenly over the bread. Press the bread down with the back of a wooden spoon, making sure it’s evenly moist. Cover with parchment paper, then foil, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Bake the casserole, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until puffed, set and lightly browned, about 20 minutes more.
- Let stand for 10 minutes; dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.